Sunday, August 3, 2014

7 Happy Days

A compilation of things that have made me happy this past week.

1.) This advertisement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs

Every young girl needs to see that! As well as every woman, I think it's great for everyone. #LikeAGirl

While we're at it, this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzL-vdQ3ObA

After watching that, I realized how excessively I do say sorry. Granted, apologizing isn't always bad, more often than not it's actually good. However, like in the video, I would find myself apologizing when "asking a stupid question" as well, when in reality I shouldn't be because there's no way I was the only one wanting to ask that question. And even if I was, who cares? Questions make everyone more knowledgeable and the world a better place. Yea for being inquisitive!

2.) The "What Makes Me Feel Beautiful" tag. What you do is you find and post five pictures that make you feel beautiful along with an explanation of why you chose each picture. Not going to lie, I've been dying for someone to challenge me to participate in this and one of my friends finally did. I live for this type of empowerment stuff. Here's my post, word for word in all of it's teenage slang-filled glory:


"Okay @madimoo28 here is my cheesy chain post, sry not sry & yea all women<3 I felt beautiful at my senior pictures because of all of my sweet supporters that surround me. I felt beautiful at prom because I loved getting to embody for a night the treatment I and all other girls should require. I felt beautiful in Hawaii because I was surrounded by God's beautiful creation and the people there all had beautiful hearts. I feel beautiful when I dance because even though I'm imperfect, I get an opportunity to showcase an art/sport/idea that I've spent time perfecting. Last but not least I find beauty in intelligence and accomplishment and my graduation just represented to me all of my hard work and growth.  I challenge all of my new 'Rette sistas to post five pictures that make y'all feel beautiful!!"

My "new 'Rette sistas" are the girls who just made my new dance team, by the way.

3.) I had an opportunity to reconnect with an old good friend of mine. We had grown apart but we used to be pretty close, so I initiated a conversation with them. I was nervous about the outcome, but I just kept reminding myself of a sermon I had just heard. Staying in the gray area of life is easy, and taking risk is the only way to escape the metaphorical gray and get into the white. Risk taking also means that sometimes you will inevitably end up in the black, but I'd rather have success along with failure than merely staying in the safe zone. Thankfully this time my risk taking was successful! Regardless of the outcome, I'm glad I have so many opportunities to get out of the gray and experience success alongside with failure. Yes, you read that right. I trust that God has a perfect plan for everyone, myself included. I love learning new things, preferably from successes rather than from failures, but you can't have one without the other!

Moral of the story, I'm happy everything worked out.

4.) I organized my room, therefore my life. I've been having a lot of bad dreams and they suddenly stopped once I organized everything. If you've got anything to clean up, I encourage you to do so - it may indirectly help other aspects of your life as well!

5.) The song "Like Real People Do" by Hozier. I looked up the song meaning, and in an interview Hozier mentions that it doesn't have a specific meaning because it's made up of multiple different life experiences mashed up into one song. I love the vibe this song gives and how you can interpret it any way you want to! Definitely go check it out.

6.) I got a hair cut!

Before...
...and after!

Don't get me wrong, I loved my long mermaid hair, but I was definitely in need of a change. As a "girly girl," I've always loved dressing up my hair and playing with my "look." Going to start my new life in college by myself, I felt like I needed something more manageable and fun. It's so flippy and exciting, and now I feel ready to take whatever else life has to throw at  me! (Yes. It is possible to feel that empowered from a hair cut.)

7.) I took a personality test to find out whether I'm more of an introvert or extrovert.

For anyone who doesn't know, an introvert is typically more shy and quiet and they like having alone time to recoup. An extrovert is often very loud and outgoing and they gain their energy by being around other people. Neither one is "better" per se, they're just different personality traits.

I've always considered myself to be an introvert, but I also have traits of an extrovert which is confusing, so out of curiosity I took this test to find out where I am on the spectrum:

http://psychologytoday.tests.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=1311

You can pay for your full results, but, being the unemployed full-time college student that I am, I settled with the free snapshot it gives you. My result? I'm halfway in between! (4% closer to being an introvert.) This may seem strange to include this on a list of things that made me happy this week, I mean it is just a personality test, but I had no idea a person could be a combination of both! This explains a lot and gives me a new perspective on my life and how to use the personality traits I was given to their full potential.

8.) Bonus! I just found out this week that Katy Perry's cat's name is Kitty Purry. That is really awesome. She wins at cat naming.

Let me know if anything that's made me happy this week strikes you in the same way it did me!

xoxo, em


No comments:

Post a Comment